Help NEJB Member Recover from Tragic Lowell Fire

On July 10th a tragic fire swept through a Lowell, MA apartment building killing 7 people and destroying 9 apartments. The fire was one of the deadliest in state history. Many of those killed and displaced were new immigrants from Cambodia. One of the displaced was To Vath, a 23 year member of the New England Joint Board Local 311. After returning home from his 12 hour shift at the Polartec factory in Lawrence, Brother Vath arrived to find his home in flames. Thankfully Brother Vath and his brother escaped without injury but they both lost all of their belongings including citizenship papers and family possessions. Brother Vath came to the US 26 years ago as a refugee from Cambodia and has spent most of his time here as a loyal union member and hardworking textile worker at Polartec.

A fund has been set up to help victims of the fire. Please join the NEJB in making a donation to the fund. Please send a check to:

Branch Street Fire Victims Relief Fund
Jeanne D’Arc Credit Union
P.O. Box 1238
Lowell, Mass. 01853

Click here to read a story about the fire that quotes Brother Vath.